Steps, walkways and patio installation Richmond Hill ON
If you’re fortunate enough to be living or working in Richmond Hill or surrounding York Region, then you’ll be acquainted with this area’s amazing diversity, culture, arts, history, green space and architecture. Masonry Richmond Hill is a masonry company that prides itself in superior workmanship, using a plethora of building materials including brick, stone units and concrete. One of our popular service requests is the installation of steps, stairways, walkways, porches and patios.
Concrete is popular for steps, walkways and patios as it is durable, cost-effective and blends in seamlessly with a variety of surroundings. Our concrete contractors use meticulous techniques at each step of the process, from thoroughly cleaning, digging out the dirt and replacing it with gravel, to carefully assembling the plywood frame, to properly mixing and blending the concrete mixture to be poured into the frame. Our pre- and post- work are equally as important, as the prep work ensures a smooth process and the post concrete pouring protective work is done to ensure longevity and durability, including applying appropriate protective sealers.
Another popular request we often get is a flagstone walkway installation. There are a myriad of DIY how-to’s online on how to install your own flagstone walkway and steps. If, however, you’re unsure about your own abilities or value your time and would like to avoid potential headaches through improper techniques, then do not hesitate to give us a call. Our techniques are precise and time-honoured. Here’s a sample of the steps we take to ensure a proper paver walkway or flagstone patio installation:
- We source high quality stones that are meant to last and endure our harsh Canadian climate. ¾ inch thick pavers are ideal. After all, the patio, stairs or walkway have to hold up not only to swinging temperatures throughout the year, but they are areas of high traffic, so they need to be strong.
- Some of the stones can be left as is, but others have to be modified to fit a certain space or when placed at the edge of the walkway, in which case we use special masonry tools to drill holes and trim the excess.
- A permeable liner is applied to inhibit weeds from growing through the stone pavers. Sand is then placed evenly over this sheet, as a preparation for the stones to be placed.
- The flagstones are placed carefully and strategically, allowing a maximum of 2 inches of space between each stone.
- The gaps are then filled with gravel or rocks.
The steps above are a simplified version of the process. There are other steps taken before and afterwards to ensure a beautiful, durable and functional walkway, porch or patio. Depending on your budget, preference for aesthetics and material, we can install concrete, man-made or natural stone or even brick. Give us a call to discuss your needs and preferences, see which ones would fit into your home’s look and surroundings, and we can go from there. Masonry Richmond Hill has been expertly installing steps, walkways, and porches for over a decade, with many satisfied customers. Ask us to show you our previous clients’ work - we’re confident you’ll be thrilled with our work.