Chimney Contractor Richmond Hill ON
When customers call us at Masonry Richmond Hill for a chimney repair, rebuild or restoration, there are typically two main concerns: restoring the appearance of worn out chimneys and upgrading the protective function of the masonry unit. Our chimney contractors ensure your chimney restoration or rebuild is done to the highest standards, minimizing the need for frequent or premature repair.
How do you know if you need chimney work? There are some clues that an observer below can see, but some clues are more subtle and detected inadvertently when other contracting work is done, or on the annual chimney inspection.
Here are some typical chimney repair work we get requests for:
- Tuckpointing: if it’s the mortar joint that needs some TLC, after grinding out the defective mortar, new mortar is reapplied, and we often use a special technique called tuckpointing to apply a durable and long-lasting mortar that consists of different shades to create a fine joint illusion, creating a beautiful depth that will enhance your property.
- Chimney crown replacement: the cap does exactly what it looks like it would do - create a barrier to prevent debris, twigs, leaves and water from entering the chimney. A cracked chimney crown risks failing to do its job.
- Fixing the chimney flue: this is the inner lining of the chimney, and can be subjected to heat and stress which can cause the material to crack. This is usually detected on the annual chimney inspection, and must be fixed in a timely manner to prevent heat and smoke from entering in areas of the home that would cause a fire risk.
How can you tell you need a repair?
Some tell-tale signs include:
- Visual inspection of the brick and mortar: can you see broken bricks or deficient mortar from where you are? If it’s already obvious from where you’re standing below, the damage is likely more extensive the closer you get to it.
- White/gray salt stains: this is called efflorescence and a small amount on brick, stone or concrete can be common, but excessive amounts indicate the presence of too much water which can be detrimental to the masonry unit.
- Fallen tiles and water pooling in the fireplace: this is a clear indicator that a chimney inspection and repair are needed.
No matter the extent of your chimney damage, Masonry Richmond Hill has years of experience and our masons are highly skilled at identifying the problem and finding the appropriate solution that will address the root cause, and rebuild or restore so that you can enjoy your beautiful chimney for many years to come.